London, United Kingdom
Digital Spy is looking for a talented software engineer to join our Engineering team in London.
Part of Hearst UK, Digital Spy is the UK's pre-eminent entertainment news and discussion site. We serve a worldwide audience of more than 12.5 million unique users and 130m page impressions per month (March 2012, Google Analytics).
Our infrastructure is highly scalable, made up of 35 servers spanning across 2 data centres in the UK. Our systems are written on the LAMP stack using object-oriented PHP code. We use a wide range of additional technologies such as Memcached, Varnish, Sphinx Search and Node JS.
We have a fast development cycle, shipping code early and often. We keep our sights on version infinity when shipping version 0.1, and in doing so build high-performance code that is efficient, reusable and easily adapted to new purposes. No challenge is too great, no feature thought too small - we are passionate technologists who love finding creative ways to solve problems. Join us!
Essential Attributes and Skills
- A follower of cutting edge technologies and an interest in developing high performance, scalable and optimised software systems
- An ability to think outside the box and convert technical knowledge and passion into workable, efficient, scalable solutions
- An ability to debug issues in complex code systems quickly
- Effective verbal and written English communication skills, and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse team, some of whom work remotely
- An enthusiasm for the broad range of entertainment we cover
- Build software to power the UK's largest entertainment website, primarily using PHP, MySQL and Memcached
- Have experience with Linux usage and administration
- Work closely with our editorial, product and design teams, meeting identified needs and contributing technical expertise to the strategic thinking
- Familiarity with NoSQL technologies, caching systems and approaches is advantageous
- Your application should include a CV and covering letter discussing your technological background. Links to products and/or apps you have created would be highly appreciated
- Please note this is a UK based job and a valid UK Working Permit is needed prior to application
Please send applications to James Welsh, co-founder, at eng0512 [at] digitalspy.com