The music publication recently ran stories concerning the alleged break-up of Bloc Party. Okereke was quoted as saying: "I hope I haven't been fired," after spotting the other members outside a rehearsal space in New York without him.
Guitarist Russell Lissack was said to have later revealed that the band planned to hold auditions for new singers, seemingly confirming Okereke's departure from the group.
However, Bloc Party have since denied the reports and Okereke has now taken to his blog to criticise NME for their "sensational" approach to the story.
He explained that he was weary of becoming too friendly with editor of NME Krissi Murison at a party last year. Chatting to her, Okereke said she told him "a big problem that the NME faced was that older bands didn't want to do anything with them for fear of being stitched up".
He added: "She didn't seem to understand this so I kept my mouth shut, but Krissi how your magazine has acted this week is the reason why I didn't want to hug you."
After Bloc Party denied reports of a split, NME streamed the full interview audios with Lissack and Okereke through their website.
The singer added that the magazine have supported himself and Bloc Party throughout their career, but maintained that his interview style should always be approached with "a pinch of salt".
He continued: "The NME love this attention as it means people are clicking on their website. Whatever. After 7 years of dealing with the NME I know this is how they operate and to be honest I don't have a problem with it.
"But suggesting that we are trying to deliberately mislead our fans is a step too far."
Okereke concluded the blog post by saying that he has no hard feelings against NME and that he hopes a planned interview with them this Friday will still go ahead.
However, he added: "If it goes ahead i will be making sure that i record everything that i say this time, you know, just in case…"
Watch the music video for Kele Okereke's new single 'What Did I Do' below: