You can see rockets red glare and bombs bursting in air this fourth of July as TNN presents its first TNN's Movies That Pop Marathon , a full 14 hours of action movies, Wednesday, July 4 at 9:00 AM-11:00 PM, ET/PT. Throughout the day and into the evening, TNN will present high-action thrillers -- cops gone bad, Vietnam vets fighting drug dealers, 'real killers' hunted by prime suspects and a big city street racer in a battle with the mob, to name a few.
TNN's Movies That Pop Marathon comes to a dramatic conclusion (9:00 AM-11:00 PM, ET/PT) with UNLAWFUL ENTRY (1992) in which Ray Liotta perfected the widely acclaimed and unforgettable role of a debonair psychotic, a menace to a husband and wife, played by Kurt Russell and Madeline Stowe. For this role, Liotta was nominated for an MTV Movie Award for "Best Villain."
Among the high-action movies to be presented during TNN's Movies That Pop Marathon are:
* PROBABLE CAUSE (1994) 9:00-11:00 AM, ET/PT -- Michael Ironside portrays grizzled Homicide Detective Gary Yanuck, on the trail of a serial cop killer. His new partner is beautiful Detective Lynn Reilly (Kate Vernon) who interests Yanuck -- as a lover and as the murder suspect.
* TO PROTECT AND SERVE (1992) 11:00 AM-1:00 PM, ET/PT -- A team of corrupt L.A. cops who thrive on brutality and extortion is being murdered one by one, and two young cops, Phil Egan (C. Thomas Howell) and Harriett McCallister (Lezlie Deane), are put on the case.
* PARTNERS IN CRIME (1999) 1:00-3:00 PM, ET/PT -- Rutger Hauer and supermodel Paulina Porizkova star as policeman Gene Reardon and his ex-wife, decorated FBI agent Wallis Longsworth, who join forces to solve a murder, in which he is the prime suspect. As the hunters become the hunted, they must pull out all the stops to prove his innocence and find the real killer.
* SHATTERED (1991) 3:00-5:00 PM, ET/PT -- Tom Berenger portrays Dan Merrick, an amnesiac who attempts to piece his life back together after surviving a catastrophic car accident. Greta Scacchi portrays his wife Judith and Bob Hoskins is Gus Klein, a colorful private eye.
* CHROME SOLDIERS (1992) 5:00-7:00 PM, ET/PT -- Gary Busey and Ray Sharkey star in this action adventure about a group of Vietnam veterans who reunite to avenge a friend's death in a town controlled by drug dealers.
* BORN TO RUN (1993) 7:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT -- Richard Greico stars in this look at the world of big city street racers. When one of them falls in love with his brother's woman he soon finds he must battle the mob to keep her and stay alive.
* UNLAWFUL ENTRY (1992) 9:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT -- Ray Liotta stars as disturbed cop Pete Davis who menaces Karen Carr (Madeleine Stowe) and her husband Michael (Kurt Russell). Joe Brown of The Washington Post wrote of the movie's stars, "Stowe is luminously lovely and vulnerable, making her an ideal psycho-magnet; likeable low-key Russell is the very model of a modern strong-but-sensitive hubby; and Liotta outdoes even his own previous best efforts at the nice-guy nut case."
TNN announces action movie marathon
Published Friday, Jun 22 2001, 09:11 BST | By Neil Wilkes